Introduction by the moderator
Francis Zarb, Msida / MT
Osteoporosis: epidemiology, risk factors, and screening
Karen Knapp, Exeter / UK
1. To become familiar with epidemiological considerations and risk factors.
2. To be aware of screening and imaging in osteoporosis patient follow-up.
Dual-energy x-ray absorptiometry and other modalities
Rogério Lopes, Vila Nova de Foz Côa / PT
1. To become familiar with the evolution of dual-energy x-ray absorptiometry (DXA) systems.
2. To understand the important role of the radiographer in DXA examinations: optimisation, reproducibility, and quality assurance.
3. To become aware of the importance of understanding the scan generated report information.
Opportunities for radiographers in bone health
Eilish McDermott, Dublin / IE
1. To explore potential opportunities for radiographers to increase their contribution in this field.
2. To be aware of the limitations with current osteoporosis imaging structures and roles.
3. To discuss the importance of education, training, and continuous professional development for radiographers specialising in this field.
Department of Radiography, Faculty of Health Sciences University of Malta
Exeter, United Kingdom×
School of Physics, University of Exeter
Vila Nova de Foz Côa, Portugal×
Medical Imaging, Radiology Centro Hospitalar Vila Nova de Gaia, Espinho
Diagnostic Imaging & Radiography, University College Dublin