E³ - European Diploma Prep Session
21:08E. Castellano, London / UK
1. To understand the physical basis of image formation of computed tomography and of the physics of helical, multidetector, and dual-source CT.
2. To learn the scale of Hounsfield units and the principle of window centre and width.
3. To become familiar with modern CT technology.
4. To understand the principles of optimising CT protocols with a focus on patient dose reduction.
28:36D. Sappey-Marinier, Lyon / France
1. To become familiar with the physical basis of image formation in MRI including the principles of pulse sequences and relaxation times.
2. To become familiar with the typical appearance of tissues, organs, and main pathological processes of the most commonly used sequences in MRI.
3. To learn typical artefacts on MRI and to discuss their respective causes.
4. To understand absolute or relative contraindications against MRI and safety issues in the MR environment with regard to patients and staff.
16:04J. Damilakis, Iraklion / Greece
1. To understand the phenomena of x-ray interaction with matter and their effect on image quality and dose.
2. To provide an overview of patient and staff dosimetry in diagnostic and interventional radiology.
3. To understand the basic principles of radiation protection as outlined by the ICRP (International Commission on Radiological Protection).
4. To become familiar with the concepts and tools for dose management in radiology with regard to adult and paediatric patients.
London, United Kingdom×
Department of Physics Royal Marsden Hospital
Department of Medical Physics Faculty of Medicine University of Crete